Select your language

Willkommen auf der Automobilseite des Jetronic.org Forums ! - Welcome to the Automotive part of the Jetronic.org forum !

Erzählt uns und anderen, wer Ihr seid und warum Ihr Euch auf diesem Forum registriert habt.
Ich heiße alle Auto-Begeisterten hier herzlich willkommen und hoffe, Euch häufig hier zu sehen.

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Trigger Points

• cjhols
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago #14580 by cjhols
Trigger Points was created by cjhols
Hi all,
I am a bit slow so please spell out your response like I was a 2 year old. :Help:

I am presently replacing the Trigger Points that I bought from Volker (in my 73 Merc 450 SLC) . I just wanted to check that all is ok before I put it back in the car ( I set the gap to app. 0.5 mm but it is hard to get it exactly 0.5 mm). I rotated the distributor checking with a multimeter and and marked on the top of the distributor the range when each of the 4 points were 'firing' when there was a circuit. Using a protractor I measured this time period as a degree.
1/. Is this time period when the contact points are closed / contacting / off the cam?
2/.My range was approximately Red 147 Dg, White 150 Dg, Green 150 Dg and Yellow 140 does this seem reasonable? MBGraham in this post Trigger Points Cleanup & Adjustment recommends that they should be between 100-120 degree??? What are your thoughts?
Regards
Peter
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment image.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dr-DJet
  • Dr-DJet repariert und sammelt alles! :-)
More
3 years 6 months ago #14581 by Dr-DJet
Replied by Dr-DJet on topic Trigger Points
Hi Peter,

150° is a good value, 100-120° is small.< and I would not recommend setting that value. If you do so it means that you set cams closer than these famous 0,5 mm from rotating shaft. 0.5 mm is selected as the opening distance of shaft is 1.0 mm and thus we move in the middle. As we are not charging an ignition coil and as ECU only triggers on closing contacts, this value is not that important. What I do is that I put repaired trigger contacts on my ignition distributor test stand and align them to have SYMMETRIC closing angles and I also chack that they are 90° apart. Those 90° are most important.

Viele Schraubergrüße - best regards, Dr-DJet Volker
Alles für den Mercedes-Benz R/C 107 und W116 in der SLpedia Sternzeit 107

Workshop Hzg/Klima 13.4 (ER), D-Jetronic 8.6. (F) & 20.7. (ER), K-Jetronic 29.6. (ER) & 31.8. (F)

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #14584 by nordfisch
Replied by nordfisch on topic Trigger Points
Hi Volker, Hi Peter
- long closing time (150°) means :
- wide play between tool and fibre blocks
- points opening late, closing early
- small points-gap
not much reserve for fibre-blocks-wear.

- short closing time (100°) means:
- small play between tool and fibre blocks
- points opening early, closing late
- wide points-gap.
high reserve for fibre-blocks-wear, but maybe probs with fluttering points.

Consider adjusting using my tool... you will get reliable adjustments and the trigger points life will be as long as if they were new.

Regards
Norbert
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by nordfisch.

• cjhols
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago #14585 by cjhols
Replied by cjhols on topic Trigger Points
Thank you for your information. It has cleared up my confusion about whether I was measuring the open or closed period on time. I used the tool to set the gap ( a rather stiff 0.5 mm). All of the 4 are now reading 143° so I'm pretty happy with that. Now to put it back in the car - Fingers crossed :-)
Thank you both (again).
The information was clear and easy to understand.
Regards,
Peter

• cjhols
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago #14586 by cjhols
Replied by cjhols on topic Trigger Points
Sorry to be a pain,
I put the distributor back on and noticed that it was only running on 4 cylinders 2 pairs (1 and 5 and 4 and 8 are NOT working). It has spark - my fingers can testify this but I put a multimeter across the connection on the Trigger Point terminals using the black as the common- I got around 2.6 volts on the red and Green but next to nothing on the White and Yellow ( I'm pretty sure these are the banks not firing).
The question I have is this a Trigger point issue or an ECU issue or something else?
Regards
Peter

This message has an attachment image.

More
3 years 6 months ago #14589 by nordfisch
Replied by nordfisch on topic Trigger Points
Hi Peter,
the wires of this kind of trigger-points-unit tend to break at the connector towards the housing. Maybe the grommet there is missing or defective... maybe you bended the cable some times. It's a problem that occurs quite often.

Disconnect the connection towards the D-Jet-harness and check boh the yellow and white wire for continuity against the black one.
If there is no continuity even if you let the engine turn, the wire will be broken.
Or check this after having removed the trigger-points-unit from the car.

Regards
Norbert

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds